VAT on land related supplies

Jul. 6, 2017, 3:08pm

VAT is not a straightforward or even logical tax. Many a client (and indeed many a tax advisor) are known to have ‘scratched’ their head’s over a VAT dilemma. VAT on land based supplies is a whole topic in itself.

In this blog we consider, what VAT rate should be charged to a telecoms company, who are based in the Republic of Ireland, and who wish to site a phone mast on land in the UK?

There are two issues to consider here:

  • the place of supply of the UK land owner, and;
  • the VAT liability.

Allowing a phone mast to be sited on land constitutes a licence to occupy. This is a land related supply, one of the few exceptions to the business to business general rule. As such the place of supply is where the land is situated, in this example in the UK.

However in terms of VAT liability, a licence to occupy is exempt from VAT, unless the client has waived the exemption by opting to tax the land in question. If they have opted to tax they should charge VAT irrespective of the fact the customer is based overseas.

If you have a VAT query why not contact us to discuss the implications. Our team has a wealth of experience and would love to hear from you.

We Think. You Gain.

The information in this blog is provided ‘AS IS’ with no warranties, and confers no rights.
 Yes, we are accountants, but if we are not your accountant this article does not create a client relationship. This blog is technical/ tax information and should not be seen as advice. All circumstances are different – you should consult with an accountant/ tax adviser before you rely on this information.
Feel free to challenge us, disagree with us, or even profess your undying love in the comments section of each blog entry, but we reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous) – so keep it polite, please!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *