A day in the life of an Incoming President of the Northern Society of Chartered AccountantsJul. 7, 2015, 3:26pm
A day in the life of an Incoming President of the Northern Society of Chartered Accountants… a lot of fun!
Being on the Presidential “ladder” for two years (a year as Vice President and then a year as Deputy President), you would have thought I would be prepared for the date when I was appointed as President of the Northern Society of Chartered Accountants, a branch of the ICAEW.
The ICAEW (politely) summoned me to an Incoming Presidents Induction Day for my full ‘indoctrination’, preceded by Dinner the night before.
- Meeting the other 23 District Society Presidents, many of whom were either very similar to me, or very much not!
- A fascinating presentation by the ICAEW CEO Michael Izza. Every time I have heard Michael Izza speak, I am impressed by his knowledge and insight of broad areas of the political, economic, regulatory and financial environment.
- Also, presentations on:
- Learning & Professional Development – Whilst the “goal posts” move on the exams and syllabus, the qualification is still as onerous and tough as it was …. and indeed should be.
- Professional Standards – there are some “scallywags” out there and maintaining Ethical Standards is an on going process. Fortunately, the ICAEW are good at this (I sit on a Disciplinary Committee and so have first hand knowledge of this process in action).
- Marketing – Interestingly, since we cannot protect the word “Accountant” (like solicitors do) we have needed to evolve. ‘ICAEW Chartered Accountants’, is now a brand which is being rolled out across the world. 25% of trainee’s are recruited outside the UK!
- The Sheep – oh yes and having my photograph taken with Sean the Sheep – you are still reading though (ahem)!
The conclusion is, if you want to do “Business with Confidence” then you need to use a Chartered Accountant.
On that note…give me a call!
Rob Tindle FCA!